COULTER Blehert paints primarily in oil and acrylics. She has around 400
paintings in private collections and 3 in corporate or government collections.
She has received many top awards in local shows. Her paintings have been
featured in the Elan Magazine (April, 2009) and the American Artist
magazine (Feb. '95) and included in the North
Light Book of Acrylic Painting Techniques (By Earl Grenville). She
has participated in regional juried shows and had a number of one-person
shows. She is currently represented by Chasen Galleries in Richmond VA. Until it closed in 1997, She was represented by Venable-Neslage
Galleries in Washington, D.C. She has twice had a painting accepted for
display in the National Art Club in New York City at the Salgamundi Club.
She participates regularly in Art League shows at the Torpedo Factory
as well as League of Reston Artists shows. She is currently working on
a book on art basics intended to help artists develop their skill in the
use of the basics of visual art. You can see some sample (not-yet-illustrated) chapters on Dearartist blog.
An illustrator and cartoonist as well as oil painter, she worked commerically
most recently as a technical writer and computer graphics artist for a
local company. She currently conducts an oil/acrylic workshop at the Reston
Community Center another at ArtSpace Herndon and also teaches for the Fairfax County Adult and Continuing Ed program as well as pursuing her painting career. Her work
can be seen on the web at www.blehert.com/gallery and pamcoulterart.com.
Recent shows and awards:
- December 2010: Two small paintings (Rose I and Rose II) were in the annual "Art from the Heart" show at the Reston Community Center and both sold. "Shack in the Woods" sold separately.
- November 2010: Completed 5 small "winter" paintings for a local realtor to give as gifts to clients and you can see them at "winter paintings".
- November, 2010: "Uhaul" was accepted in the Art League of Alexandria November Large Works show and "Rainforest, St. Kitts" was accepted in the Art League's Small Works show.
- Completed Pleasant Grove Church. This is painted in acrylic and pressure mounted canvas on backing 15.75 x 19.75.
- August, 2010: Three paintings were acccepted in the annual US Geological Survey show sponsored by League of Reston Artist. These are Shack in the Woods, Washington (National) Cathedral, and Watering Can. Shack in the Woods was awarded third place by Marni Maree.
- Completed several new paintings: Sentinals It's 14 x 18, acrylic on stretched canvas. Still Life with Oranges, Apples , 12 x 16 matted to 16 x 20. Oil on canvas.
- August, 2010: Nascar Crash was accepted in the Art League of Alexandria annual "Scapes — International Landscape Exhibit", juried by Joey Manlapaz. The show will remain up for the entirety of August.
- June, 2010: Splash and Stream with rapids—Winter were selected for inclusion in the "Corcoran/MPA Student Show" at the Ramp Gallery, McLean, running from June 17 to July 31.
- Pouting Child and Nancy's Place, Reflection are accepted into the judged 17th annual ArtReston show and will be on display at the Rose Gallery, Reston Community Center from June 7 to July 6, 2010. The exhibit was judged by Daniel Wise.
- June 17th: Participated as Caricaturist in the 2010 South Lakes High School Graduation Party held at Hunters Woods Community Center.
- May, 2010: "Zefferelli's" and "Monument Valley" are on display at the Reston Community Center (Lake Anne) during the entirety of May.
- April, 2010: "Great Falls, Virginia, 2006" was accepted in the monthly Art League show. I personally like the "Japanese" feel of the rock masses. This painting won "First Place" in the annual League of Reston Artists show (Aug 2008) at the US Geological Survey and has now been accepted in the very prestigious Art League of Alexandria show held monthly at the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria. It was on display in the gallery during the entirety of April, 2010. The painting is beautifully framed in a plein air gold frame and is very affordable . In addition, I had two paintings in the Rose gallery, Reston Community Center, Lake Anne Plaza. "Splash," oil, 20 x 24, and "Vale Schoolhouse," oil, 16 x 20.
- April, 2010: " Sailboat, Caribbean" sold to a private collector.
- February-April, 2010: I completed a Portrait Commission for the United Mine Workers of America. Mr. Sam Church Jr is a past president.
- March, 2010: "Sunday Morning Papers"(a portrait of my mother) was accepted in the monthly Art League of Alexandria show.
- February, 2010:5 paintings were donated to the annual Art League fundraiser, The Patron's Show, one of which was "Self-Portrait, Fauve."
- Jan, 2010: Swan, Dark Water(acrylic) sold from the Art League Gallery at the Torpedo Factory.
- January, 2010: "Harpers Ferry Waterfall" was sold from the "bin gallery" at the Art League Gallery, Torpedo Factory, Alexandria.
- October, 2009: I completed a series of 10 small paintings for a local realtor. Click here for a slide show.
- I also completed several 16 x 20 paintings and sold "Ancient Door, New Cat II" (commission).
- September, 2009: Potomac above Great Falls VA was accepted in the Art League September show at the Torpedo Factory.
- August, 2009: Two paintings, Brash and Universal Liquor, were accepted in the League of Reston Artists annual show at U.S. Geological Survey, National Center in Reston. Universal Liquor was awarded Honorable Mention. The Judge was well-known local watercolorist and teacher Gwen Bragg.
- June, 2009: I taught a group oil and acrylic class at the Reston Community Center, Wednesday evenings, 7-10.
- April, 2009: Elan Magazine published an article about her art. One of her paintings is on the
front cover of the April edition. (You won't be able to see this on
their website yet, but soon, I hope.)
- February, 2009: three paintings were donated for the annual Patron's
Show, a fundraiser held by The Art League in Alexandria. The paintings
from San Juan Island (which was awarded an Honorable Mention), Beach
Umbrella, and Rock
Formation, River Bend Park. At this fundraiser for a local art institution,
attendees get their selection of a painting based on random drawing.
- December, 2008: 2 small giftable pieces (of Seashells)
sold at the Reston
Community Center Lake Anne and were replaced for the remainder of
show with a lovely and humorous little painting called "Fast
Food." In addition, 6 paintings of Riverbend park were placed
on display at Riverbend
Visitor Center. In addition, Nancy's
Place, Reflection, was selected for inclusion in the monthly juried
Art League of Alexandria show.
- November, 2008: "Self-Portrait"
(5 feet tall!) was accepted in the Art
League of Alexandria monthly "large works" show.
- October, 2008: Lynn
and Station Street and Autumn
Lane near Great Falls and Massachussets
House sold on eBay!
- October 2008: Pam and Dean both participated in a show of Paintings
and Poems (sometimes referred to as ekphrastic art) co-hosted by the League of Reston Artists and Poets Anonymous at
the University of Phoenix in Reston.
- Aug 30-Sept 1 2008:The artist was one of 10 painters selected to participate
in an on-site painting competition and completed 3 paintings in 3 days.
These were exhibited at the newly-opened ArtSpace gallery in Herndon
during September. Zefferelli's
Restaurant was one.
- August, 2008: "Splash"
and "Great Falls
- 2006" were on display as part of the annual League of Reston
Artists' show at the U.S. Geological Center in Reston VA. "Great
Falls" won First Place award.
- July, 2008: Cloudy
Day, Riverbend was accepted for display in the monthly show at the
Art League of Alexandria.
- June, 2008: Spring
House, Nancy's Place was accepted in the juried League of Reston
Artists' show at Reston Community Center and received an "Equal
Merit" award. (An Equal Merit award replaces the "First, Second
and Third Place" awards.)
- April, 2008: Nancy's
Place, Reflection (oil, 16 x 12) was painted on site at an estate
in Loudoun County during a plein air weekend with local artist and teacher
Ed Cooper. It reflects my fascination with water in all its forms. This
received an Honorable Mention in the League of Reston Artists April
2008 show at the Reston Community Center.
- Dec, 2007: Les Saintes
Harbor IV, a small watercolor, sold from the Bin Gallery at the
Torpedo Factory Art League gallery.
- Nov, 2007: "MacArthur
& Dana (oil study)" was accepted in the Art League monthly
show and sold. Also sold "Wild Ducks at Meadowlark Gardens"
and gifted "High Winds".
- Sept, 2007: I finished a restoration of a painting for one of my students,
a portrait of her mother done when her mother was young. I also did
a painting of Masks for the current MAX_21 show. And I completed an
interpretation of Riverbend using acrylic and palette knife.
- June, 2007: "Fast Food"
and "Universal Liquor"
were accepted in the ArtReston, 14th Juried Exhibition on display at
the Reston Community Center through July 2, 2007 and "Small
Boat Dock, Alexandria" is on display as part of the Paint Alexandria
show at the Torpedo Factory Art League gallery space. The June show
at the Artworks Gallery in Reston includes 4 one-foot square paintings
of Reston. Also participated in an outdoor painting event, June 2, at
Riverbend Park, and sold a small oil study of a boy fishing. (No picture
taken, unfortunately.) A painting of Riverbend is in the show at the
visitor's center through the end of June.
- May, 2007: "Hidden Hope" sold. "Tamara and Skye" sold. "Rainy
Day in Herndon" was on display in the Reston Community Center Student-Teacher
- April, 2007: She participated in a show with Max_21 and her first
really large (36 x 48) non-objective painting.
- March, 2007: "Spring House, Nancy's Place" was accepted
in the judged Art League of Alexandria show at the Torpedo Factory.
- February, 2007: The artist participated in a show with Max_21 group
at ArtWorks in Reston: 21 views of "how we see ourselves"
done on uniform panels 2.5' wide by 5' high. Click
here to see her painting.
- January, 2007: She participated in a community show sponsored by the
Arts Council of Fairfax County at Washington Trade Center and a triptich
(Winter I, II,
- Dec, 2006: The Painting "Early
Spring, River Bend" was accepted in Art League of Alexandria's
monthly show and was sold. Several paintings were also in the MAX_21
show at Artworks in Reston.
- Nov, 2006: The painting "Pandora's Box" was accepted in
the Art League of Alexandria's "Political" theme show, the
painting "Hot Jazz" was accepted into the "Small Works"
show, and the painting "Tilt" is showing in the bin gallery
at the same venue through Dec 4, 2006.
- Sept, 2006: The painting "Beauty
Spot, Potomac" was accepted in the Art League of Alexandria
monthly show and was sold within the first week of the show! It remains
on view until end Sept. The painting Cloudy
Day, Riverbend is also accepted in the "bin gallery".
- June 2006: The painting "Gazebo, Nancy's Place" was painted
during a plein air workshop and sold that day.
- June, 2006: The painting "Small Boat Dock Alexandria (study)"
Painted in Plein Air during May in Alexandria, was accepted in the June
Art League of Alexandria show at the Torpedo Factory.
- June, 2006: The painting "Early Morning After Rain, River Bend
Park" was painted 6/3/06 and sold that day at a "wet canvas"
- June 2006: The painting "Beauty Spot, Potomac" was accepted
in the 13th Annual Juried Exhibition of the League of Reston Artists,
June 2006, judged by Jack
Rasmussen, Director of the Art Gallery at the Katzen Arts Center
at American University and won a Third Place Award.
- April, 2006, the painting "Mirra,
All Dressed Up" was accepted for display in the Art League
gallery in the Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA.
- August, 2005, the painting "Mirra, All Dressed Up" won Hon.
mention in the League of Reston Artists' show and the painting "Washington
Cathedral Façade" was accepted for display at the Art
League gallery in the Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA.
- June, 2005, painting "St.
Barth's Bay" was accepted for exhibit in The Art League Gallery
for the June show
- November, 2004, painting "Temple
Farm Creek" was selected for inclusion Open Exhibition, 2004,
sponsored by the Arts Council of Fairfax County. Juror: Paul B. Salmon.
- October, 2004, painting "Erin" (a portrait study) was accepted
in the monthly juried Art League of Alexandria show at the Torpedo Factory.
- June, 2004, portrait "Monroe"
was accepted into the "Portrait" show at the Art League of
Alexandria show at the Torpedo Factory.
- May, 2004, painting, "Fast Food" was juried into a show
on "Food and the Still Life" at the Art League of Alexandria
gallery at the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA.
- March, 2004, painting "Farmyard
in Winter" was accepted in the Art League of Alexandria monthly
juried show. The judge for the show was Mark Leithauser, Senior Curator
and Chief in Design for the National Gallery of Art.
- November ,2003, " 'Otel,
Midwest" accepted in the prestigious "Open Exhibition
2003", juried by the curator of the Phillips Collection.
- September, 2003, portrait of Louie Bellucci won Best of Show in the Art League Gallery Show at
the Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, juried by Duncan Tebow.
- August 2003, "Temple
Farm Creek" was accepted in the Art League Gallery Show, and
won an "Equal Merit" award In the annual League of Reston
Artists show at the US Geological Survey.
- June, 2003, "Farmyard in Winter" accepted in the League
of Reston Artists juried show at Reston Community Center, juror, well-known
critic and curator, David Tannous.
and there is more...
March 6, 2012
Copyright c. 2010 by Pam Coulter Blehert. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.